(Don’t forget to send in your Summer Fun Challenge entries.
It doesn’t take long and it is a bunch of fun! And remember, it can be super simple. Just do something with “sticks” and then follow the entry instructions here.)
This ice cream cake is a hit everywhere it goes and best of all it is super easy to make and does not need to sit long to be ready. I love ice cream cakes and this one feels like I am cheating when I am making it, but it tastes just as good as store bought or any other homemade one from scratch I have made! It is great for those times when you need a cake ASAP or just a fun treat to share. And best of all, it is easy enough that your children can help make it with little or no mess!
What You Need:
- 2 boxes ice cream sandwiches
- 1 large container whipped cream
- 1 bottle Magic Shell
**See variations at the bottom of this post for alternatives
Step 1: Set out a 9 x13 pan and unwrap your sandwiches. This part is definitely for the kids and it does not matter if they break the ice cream bars by accident!
Step 2: Lay 1 box of the sandwiches in the pan. All 12 do fit; you just have to squeeze them tight together in the pan. There is a brand of ice cream sandwiches called Sammies that are bigger and you only use 6 of those per layer.
If you look closely, you can see that we had to break a bar in half to make it all fit. (upper right corner)
Step 3: Cover first layer in whipped cream
Step 4: Repeat Steps 2 and 3 for the second layer. Usually there is a slight gap around the top edge because of the way the pan is made. That is okay! It makes it easier to take out of the pan.
Step 5: Cover the top with Magic Shell…as much or as little as you want. This picture below is almost a full bottle, but less looks good, too.
Step 6: Let it set in freezer until you are ready to eat. You do not have to set it long if you are in a rush, just a few minutes will do.
Step 7: ENJOY!!! As you can see it was a big hit. Everyone loved it!
- Try a different flavor of ice cream bar. At my store there was vanilla, banana, Neapolitan and peanut butter. We made this one with one layer PB and one layer vanilla.
- Instead of making it in a pan, make it on a jelly roll or cookie sheet. Make sure you buy a little extra whipped cream so you can cover the sides completely.
- There are a bunch of new flavors of Magic Shell. Give another a try…I was tempted to grab the cupcake flavored one. Yum!
- You can always add food coloring to your whipped cream to give the cake some color.