(Image thanks to: photostock/FreeDigitalPhotos.net)
Welcome to the first Monthly Family Challenge! A new Challenge will be announced the first Monday of every month via Fun On a Dime and Play With Your Family. To find out more details about the family challenges and to receive monthly email reminders for the challenges, click here.
The Challenge: Share your favorite Family Thanksgiving Tradition!
Whether it’s a food you always have, a game you always play, people you share the day with, day after traditions, I mean maybe even the way you set the table. We want hear about it and if you think you don’t have any traditions, believe me, YOU DO!
According to dictionary.com, A tradition is…
- The handing down of statements, beliefs, legends, customs, information, etc., from generation to generation, especially by word of mouth or by practice: a story that has come down to us by popular tradition.
- Something that is handed down: the traditions of the Eskimos.
- A long-established or inherited way of thinking or acting: The rebellious students wanted to break with tradition.
- A continuing pattern of cultural beliefs or practices.
- Acustomary or characteristic method or manner: The winner took a victory lap in the usual track tradition.
Three ways to share: You pick the best one for you…
1. Share via Facebook and link to us in the caption of your photo or in your status update (i.e. add to your facebook share, “I did the Family Challenge @fun on a dime and @play with your family Our favorite Thanksgiving tradition is…(and insert a description of what you did or what you like to do here).”)
2. Share your tradition on your blog and link up your post below
3. Email us with a picture, if possible, and a description and we will share it on facebook/link it up for you (i.e. Cheryl from California likes to….)
Bonus Challenge: Check out all the fun ideas, then steal someone else’s to try on Thanksgiving and let us know how it goes!
**By linking up you give us permission to use pictures from your post (giving you credit, of course) to highlight ideas via facebook and/or on our sites periodically throughout the challenge.**
Brought to you by The Family Network:
Karen Mollenhauer saysNovember 7, 2011 at 1:10 pm
One tradition I love for Thanksgiving is to do something physical in the morning to get all the family out of the house, This is especially nice for the men who get impatient having to wait to eat while all those wonderful smells are filling the house! We do a family fun run (either a city organized one, or if we are trying to save money, then we will just do one around our neighborhood with the children and all). Then, we love to heat up our pool to almost bath water temperature and have a good time splashing around, soaking, and enjoying the usually sunny Arizona weather.
Michelle (AKA Fun On A Dime Lady) saysNovember 7, 2011 at 3:22 pm
Thanks for sharing Karen! Those Fun Runs are fun memories I have of Thanksgiving growing up, too.
Kristen @ Celebrate Every Day With Me saysNovember 11, 2011 at 8:52 pm
Michelle, thanks for the link up!
Rachel saysNovember 25, 2011 at 9:57 pm
One of my favorite Thanksgiving traditions is making pies! My husband makes a KILLER key lime pie, including homemade whipped cream, and the kids love to help juice the limes.
Here’s a link to this year’s pie making, with my oldest child dressed normally, my middle child wearing her underwear over her pajama pants to look “like a superhero”, and my youngest dressed as Belle. Awesome!
chelsea saysNovember 27, 2011 at 11:01 pm
Our family tradition growing up was GINGERBREAD HOUSES! I looked forward to this more than anything else! I probably won’t continue the tradition on with my family, but it made good memories! My little family will probably always go participate in a Turkey Trot fun run Thanksgiving morning – and hopefully win a turkey or pie each year to go with the meal! 🙂