Who:Everyone! Anyone who needs a little motivation to get a bit healthier or simply likes competition! It is not about lbs or inches. It is about a healthier you!
When: 8 Weeks, April 1 – May 27, 2013 – If you do not start at the beginning, you can join in at anytime.
How: There will be weekly check-ins to keep up accountability (and daily, via facebook if that is better motivation). Each day an individual can earn 7 points and is in charge of keeping track of their own daily points to report on each Monday for the previous week. At the end of the 8 weeks the person with the highest points wins. If there is more than one person with the highest amount of points, random.org will be used to select the winner from those individuals. There will be prizes! See the Prize section below…
Points To Earn Each Day:
- 1 point = Drinking 64+ oz.
- 2 points = Exercise 30+ Minutes (max of 10 points per week – if you do more, great!)
- 2 points = No Sugar (**see below)
- 1 point = 6+ Hours Sleep Every Night Day (Yes, naps do count!)
- 1 point = No Eating After 8 p.m. (nothing good ever happens with late night eating! If you have a funky work schedule, set your own food curfew and stick to it!)
- Bonus Challenges = Given throughout the 8 weeks as an opportunity to earn extra points.
Grab a Daily Point Tracker Sheet!
Prizes: I am working on the details of the prizes*. There will be one Grand Prize for the winner and one prize given via random.org based on each weekly entry filled out per individual (for example: if you only participated 6 weeks, you will have 6 entries at the end for the random draw prize). And I am trying to put together some weekly prizes for the highest weekly point earner , too. (which it looks like there will be at least $5 gift cards each week based on current donations from those already signed up). If there is more than one person with the highest points earned for the week. The winner will be chose via random.org from those individuals. Check out Beginning the Slim Down For Summer Fitness Challenge 2011 (coming soon, but this is 2011’s and it will be similar) for additional information.
* If you are interested in sponsoring or donating a prize or giveaway to be given away during the competition, email me at michelle (at) funonadime (dot) net. You know, if you need a little extra motivation because you are invested! I am thinking that if everyone can donate $1 -$5, we will be able to give away a small gift card. I promise all money donated will go towards the weekly giveaway prizes.
** A note about No Sugar: I have learned that everyone has their own individual idea of this, so for ease of explanation we will use the top 8 bullet points on the USDA’s Food Pyramid’s description under “Foods that contain most of the added sugars in American diets are:” (which I can no longer find on their site, but it was there before. Promise!)…these are ”regular soft drinks, candy, cakes, cookies, pies, fruit drinks, such as fruitades and fruit punch, milk-based desserts and products, such as ice cream, sweetened yogurt and sweetened milk, grain products such as sweet rolls and cinnamon toast” Most processed foods have some form of sugar in them. Substitute sweeteners are okay. I use Stevia for a lot of the things I used to sweeten with regular sugar. Plain and Greek yogurt is great with fruit, but if you cannot find it or stomache it try to use a low sugar brand…improve upon what you are doing now. Use your own discretion. You are accountable for you! The main point is to avoid the REAL junk – captain cavity cereals, desserts, etc. That should be doable, right?
Also, if you are a caffeine drinker and wanting to cut it out of your diet, do not do it at the same time as cutting sugar. Wait a couple of weeks so you do not have to fight two cravings at once.
If you have any COMMENTS, QUESTIONS or CONCERNS, email me (michelle (at) funonadime.net) or leave a comment on Facebook here. My comments below are having technical issues and I currently can not see any comments made on my site. (Sorry!)