Growing up one of my favorite meals was grilled cheese day. It was a classic! I loved mine served with a side of tomato soup. How did you like your grilled cheese sandwich?
I think everyone has fond memories of enjoying grilled cheese as a kid and just because we have grown up does not mean the love for that melted goodness has to die. There are plenty of ways we can still enjoy a classic with a grown up twist. For instance, instead of the original white bread and yellow cheese version, create a unique and naturally delicious grilled cheese recipe featuring Arla Dofino and Eureka! Organic Bread.
You can also twist things up by experimenting with one or more of the below options:
- Ingredient plus-ups: Add things like prosciutto, avocado, or fresh fruit spreads
- Unusual pairings: Tomato soup is the expected counterpart to a traditional grilled cheese sandwich, but what else can you pair with your gooey Arla Dofino grilled cheese?
- Fun serving ideas: Cutting grilled cheese into fun shapes for kids, etc.
What will you create next?
I recently created a new and improved grilled cheese that I am in love with it. My parents went to Europe last year and along with some memories they brought home some yummy new recipes. A favorite of my dad’s is a gouda cheese and ham like dish served on a baguette. It tastes great and is super easy to make. Inspired by this, I decided to see if it would work grilled. Dad, I think I just made it even better! It is the perfect blend of classic, fit for grown ups and fancy (because everything French is fancy! 😉 ). So yummy!
What You Need:
- 2-3 slices Arla Dofino Gouda – or 2-3 ounces shredded (available in slices and chunk form in the Deli section of most stores)
- Eureka! Organic Bread
- Black forest ham, sliced
- Gherkin Pickles
- Whole Grain Dijon Mustard
- Tomato (optional)
Step 1: Prep all the food and set the oven to Broil. Slice (if it isn’t already) the Arla Dofina Gouda cheese, pickles and tomatoes into thin slices. They don’t have to be super thin, but too thick will get bulky. Two slices of cheese = 2 ounces = 1/4 cup
Step 2: Spread mayonnaise on two slices of Eureka! Organic Bread. Then top with a spread of mustard. I like the mustard on only one side of the bread.
Step 3: On one slice of bread cover the mayonnaise with the sliced Gouda cheese. On the other slice of bread top the mayo/mustard with the pre sliced black forest ham.
Step 4: When the oven is ready, place the two slices of bread (like an open faced sandwich and not combined) on a pan. Broil them on the top shelf in the oven for 1-1.5 minutes. Any longer and your edges will be really brown…unless you like it that way. 😉
Step 5: Remove from oven and quickly top the ham with the sliced pickles and tomato and add the cheese/bread half on top while the cheese is still melted.
Step 6: Serve and enjoy! Sooooo good, right? Who knew a Gouda grilled cheese could taste so good!
Join the #GooeyGoodness Twitter Party
Wait, there is more fun coming. Join in on the Twitter Party on April 8th for your chance to win 2 Grand Prizes. Check them out!
The ultimate Grilled Cheese prize pack includes:
- Le Creuset® Sandwich Press
- Le Creuset® serving tray
- Le Creuset® plates (set of 4)
- Crate & Barrel OXO® Fish Spatula
- Anthropologie Apron
- Year’s worth of Arla Dofino cheese & Eureka! Organic Bread
How the Twitter Party works:
- Login into Twitter on Wednesday, April 8 from 8-9pm EST
- Follow @ArlaDofino, @TwoPeasandPod and @FoodieCrush
- Search for the hashtag #GooeyGoodness
- Join the conversation! Tweet using #GooeyGoodness so others see your comments
What is your favorite Grilled Cheese Sandwich?
Share in the comments below. I love learning new things!
Linked to: I Heart Nap Time, Lil’ Luna, Somewhat Simple, Tatertots & Jello & Today’s Creative Blog, Strawberry Mommycakes, Craftaholics Anonymous, LollyJane Get Your DIY On (ThankfulHouse)
Katie saysApril 3, 2015 at 6:31 am
Mmmm – you can’t go wrong with this combo!!!
Emily saysApril 5, 2015 at 8:01 am
oh wow!! this looks so amazing!!! yum!! I’m loving #grilledcheesemonth pinned this!