Today I’m sharing one of my favorite things to do with kids of all ages. And I mean all ages. It is…
…Play-doh faces and it’s SUPER simple…or, at least, it should be. Here’s what I mean:
- Print photos on home printer (at least 5 x 7 size – and printed in draft mode [you’ll save on that expensive color ink and the kids won’t mind if the colors are not super vibrant – their focus will be on what they can do with the play-doh])
- Stick photos in plastic sheet protectors
- Make hair, moustaches, clothes, accessories, etc. out of play-doh and stick them on your photos
- Clear the photo and repeat Step 3 over and over…. 🙂
It’s so fun to see what the kids come up with! – like this clever transformation:
Or this one:
Some other things I love about these (besides that I haven’t met an age group yet that doesn’t think it’s either fun or just funny):
- They’re not high maintenance. Making sure the play-doh gets put back with lids tightly on is the hardest part of maintaining them. 🙂 I made ours at least 4 years ago and we still have them (other than the ones that got lost), which says a lot with our bunch of kids and their friends that have used them over the years! The play-doh only ever touches the plastic cover, so we’ve never had to re-print photos.
- If you are concerned about durability there’s an easy fix: laminate them instead of using the plastic sheet protector. If I make more of these (with updated photos) I will laminate them – partly for durability and partly because it stiffens the paper.
- You can use your own homemade play-doh recipe (Like Michelle’s, found here) or, if you have a little one that loves play-doh, but tends to eat it – no worries! Just do a quick online search for edible play-doh recipes and you’ll find loads.
- It’s a good “something fun to do” to have in your back pocket for those times when your kids have friends over and “can’t think of anything to do” because you can quickly snap a photo of the friend(s), print it out, slip it in a sleeve protector and suddenly it’s way more fun than just playing with play-doh.
- It can make a great Christmas or birthday or whenever gift for your child to give to their friends or cousins. Have the parent email you a photo of their child, then you simply print it, laminate it and wrap it up with a jar or 2 of play-doh. Inexpensive, but fun and customized gift-giving! It might be even be fun for your child to add a photo of them in there too. So their friends/cousins can have more than one person to “dress up”.
- It makes a really fun activity for birthday parties – especially ones with mixed ages or genders. Have the guests’ parents email you a photo of their child ahead of time so you can print and laminate it and they can “decorate” themselves! As an extra cool little bonus, send their photo and a can of play-doh home with each child and the party game doubles as a party favor! Win-win!
Leave a Reply